JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel warned Monday it would exact a heavy price from Hamas, as a massive search for three missing Jewish seminary students turned into the widest crackdown on the Islamic militant group in the West Bank in almost a decade.
Israel has blamed Hamas for the apparent abductions, without providing proof, and has arrested more than 150 Palestinians since the three teens disappeared in the West Bank late Thursday.
Most of those rounded up were from Hamas, including activists and political leaders, among them 10 members of the non-functioning Palestinian parliament. Israel's Security Cabinet discussed further steps Monday, reportedly including the possible deportation of Hamas leaders from the West Bank to the Gaza Strip, where Hamas is in control.
Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon said Hamas has begun "paying a heavy price, both in terms of arrests and assets," suggesting the aim is to try to dismantle the Hamas infrastructure in the West Bank. It's not clear how far Israel will go, though, considering the risk of a conflagration in the West Bank after several years of relative calm.
Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has used the abductions to try to discredit Western-backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and the unity government Abbas formed with Hamas backing earlier this month.
Netanyahu claimed Abbas is ultimately responsible for the fate of the teens and alleged the Palestinian leader's new alliance with the Islamic militants created an atmosphere that encouraged the apparent kidnapping.
Abbas and Netanyahu spoke by phone Monday, a rare contact between the two. Netanyahu's office said the Israeli prime minister asked Abbas for help with the search.
"The Hamas kidnappers came from territory under Palestinian Authority control and returned to territory under Palestinian Authority control," Netanyahu told Abbas, referring to the areas where Palestinians have limited self-rule.
Abbas aides have rejected Netanyahu's contention, saying Israel is in overall control of the West Bank. The junction where the teens were last seen is under full Israeli security control and is commonly used by soldiers and settlers.
Abbas condemned both the apparent kidnapping and a "series of Israeli violations" in a statement Monday. He referred to the arrests and the killing of a 20-year-old Palestinian by Israeli army fire early Monday, during a confrontation between stone throwers and soldiers in a West Bank refugee camp.
Despite the pitched rhetoric, Palestinian security officials have worked with Israeli counterparts to try to locate the missing teens, Palestinian officials said.
Abbas has said such security coordination in the West Bank — in place since Hamas seized the Gaza Strip from him in 2007 — would continue even under a unity government. The joint efforts have routinely targeted Hamas activists.
The Israeli search for the missing students — two 16-year-olds and a 19-year-old — was concentrated in and around Hebron, the largest Palestinian city in the West Bank. Troops sealed the area, blocking access roads, and conducted house-to-house searches.
Arrests of Hamas activists began shortly after the teens disappeared. Several dozen more were rounded up overnight, including Abdel Aziz Dweik, the speaker of the parliament and a senior Hamas figure in the West Bank.
Hamas is considered a terror group by Israel and the West because of past attacks that have killed hundreds of Israeli soldiers and civilians.
Over the years, Israel has carried out periodic campaigns against the group, including arrest sweeps, but the current crackdown is the widest in the West Bank since 2006, when Israel retaliated for the capture of an Israeli soldier by Hamas-allied militants in Gaza. Separately, Israel has carried out several major offensives against Hamas in Gaza.
Continue reading this story on the...