Italian media hails the return of 'Super Mario'
MILAN (AP) — Italian media have hailed the return of "Super Mario" after Mario Balotelli inspired the Azzurri to a 3-1 victory over Denmark IN A World Cup qualifier.
Balotelli set up Riccardo Montolivo's opener as well as scoring Italy's final goal in his first international match since the European Championship final loss to Spain.
It was also Balotelli's first match at the San Siro since leaving Inter Milan for Manchester City two years ago.
Balotelli says "it's always special for me to play at San Siro, it's a great stadium. One which gives you more emotion. Is it nicer than English stadiums? Yes, there it's a different atmosphere."
Balotelli missed qualifiers against Bulgaria and Malta after undergoing eye surgery, then sat out Friday's win in Armenia because he had a fever.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21361Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10815Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8633Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8589Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8336Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7789Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7697Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister