It's possible that OSU receiver Justin Blackmon could be better in 2011
STILLWATER — Last spring, Justin Blackmon was just another receiver looking to make a name for himself at Oklahoma State.
When spring football drills started Monday, Blackmon stepped on the practice field as the 2010 Biletnikoff Award winner.
Videoview all videos
Mar 7Oklahoma State's new offensive coordinator Todd Monken is...
Photoview all 13 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Yet, nothing has changed for Blackmon. The hunger to be great remains. The will to be unstoppable still drives the Ardmore native.
“I have the same mindset,” Blackmon said. “It's a little bit different this year. People know the name, but it's going to be the same way.”
The junior-to-be passed on the chance at NFL millions to return to Stillwater to get better and help the Cowboys compete for a Big 12 championship.
“He's an impressive guy because he knows how to compete,” Cowboys offensive coordinator Todd Monken said. “He is a big powerful man with strong hands that is really good after the catch.”
Blackmon finished the season with 111 receptions for 1,782 yards and 20 touchdowns. He set an NCAA record with 12 straight games with 100 receiving yards and at least one touchdown.
Eye-popping numbers, sure.
But how could he possibly be better than that?
“He went from playing a little bit to the Biletnikoff winner,” Monken said. “And he did it being a big, powerful man with strong hands. Now, where he can really change himself is his route running.”
Monken would know.
The Pokes' new offensive coordinator came to OSU after spending the 2010 season as the receivers coach for the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars, where receivers Mike Sims-Walker, Mike Thomas and Mercedes Lewis accounted for over 2,000 receiving yards last season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 38644Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15211Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9740Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9154Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8873Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7777Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7381Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister