Jamaica draws Mexico 0-0 in WCup qualifying
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico lost a 19-game winning streak at Azteca Stadium with a 0-0 draw against Jamaica on Wednesday night in its first match of the final round of World Cup qualifying.
The Mexicans are considered one of the favorites to qualify for Brazil 2014 from the North and Central American and Caribbean region. But the Jamaicans battled them to their first tie at Azteca since Nov. 9, 1997, when they played to a 3-3 draw against Costa Rica.
Honduras leads the final six-team group with three points, while Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica and Jamaica share second with one point apiece. The United States is last with no points after losing 2-1 to Honduras earlier Wednesday.
The top three teams earn automatic World Cup berths.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10710Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10389Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10187Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9807Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6458Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4074Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4073Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes