James Harden, Serge Ibaka in running for Most Improved Player
Current and former Thunder players top list of 10 best candidates for the award.
Selecting the NBA's Most Improved Player is an annual exercise in the abstract.
Infrequently is there an obvious pick.
There is no set standard on how to judge each candidate.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
How much a player improved this season directly correlates to how bad he was the previous season.
Several players on this year's watch list share a common thread, however. They're playing for somebody else.
*Guard James Harden was traded from Oklahoma City to Houston.
*Center Omer Asik has more than tripled his scoring (from 3.1 ppg to 10.2) after leaving Chicago to sign with Houston.
*Forward Andray Blatche signed as a free agent with the Brooklyn Nets after seven perpetually pouting seasons in Washington.
*J.J. Hickson signed with Portland last March after being waived by Sacramento, then made the simultaneous move from forward to center.
*Forward Matt Barnes moved about 100 feet down the hallway at Staples Center, leaving the Lakers and signing with the Clippers.
*Forward Nikola Vucevic was part of a four-team trade that sent him from Philadelphia to Orlando.
Did a simple change of address help each of the above? Perhaps. Suffice to say, it certainly didn't hurt their chances at this award.
Here is a look at our current top 10 for Most Improved Player:
1. James Harden (Houston): This answer comes with a question: Has Harden improved immensely since last season, or was he this good all along and simply needed to become “the man” with another team? Either way, it's impossible to argue with the numbers, which will make Harden a hometown All-Star next month in Houston.
2012-13: 38.3 minutes; 26.4 points; 5.3 assists; 1.6 steals. 2011-12: 31.4 mpg; 16.8 ppg; 4.1 rpg; 3.7 apg; 1.0 spg.
2. Serge Ibaka (Thunder): Ibaka continues his steady climb toward getting better and better each season, but this year there has been considerable advancement in his offensive repertoire. He has added distance and confidence to his jump shot and complemented it with an ambidextrous hook shot driving in the lane.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 18478Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8171OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6350Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6186Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6108OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4747Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4683Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater