Jenni Carlson: Thunder got even the Harden way
Videoview all videos
May 20Thunder vs Mavericks from Dallas in this edition of...
May 20Jenni Carlson and Berry Tramel talk about Russell...
May 20James Harden scored 23 points off the bench, as OKC's...
May 20Berry Tramel and Jenni Carlson examine OKC's 106-100 win...
Photoview all 43 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Harden had a huge performance in the biggest game of the season.
What he did throughout the game, but especially in the fourth quarter, is the kind of thing that does more than help Durant. It helps the whole darn team.
“No question,” Thunder reserve Daequan Cook said. “He gets to the basket, and he draws a lot of attention. That gives us an opportunity to swing ... or another player to get to the basket.
“When he's playing that way, it's hard to really guard us.”
Case in point — the Thunder shot a sizzling 64.7 percent in the fourth quarter.
“You got to think about it — when he's playing good, we win,” Cook said. “We win big.”
Durant said: “James Harden was great for us tonight. He knows he has to be good off that bench for us to win, and he did it tonight, came through and made some big plays.”
None was bigger than that four-point play at the end of the third quarter.
Only moments before, Westbrook had committed the turnover that earned him a seat on the bench. He fouled Jason Kidd on the play, leading to free throws and letting the Mavs take the lead.
The Dallas crowd was alive.
The Mavs were, too.
Then, Harden eyed the shot clock, decided to shoot and changed the game.
The shot silenced the crowd, but it also seemed to take something out of the Mavs, too.
“I just had confidence in my jump shot,” Harden said. “I had so much space I wanted to just rise up and shoot it and hold my follow through.”
He didn't just hit the shot.
He hit the Mavs square between the eyes.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 83533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16617OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12334Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11110Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8849How to help tornado victims