Jeter calls offseason 'absolutely terrible'
"I'm going to have to push myself," Jeter said. "From inactivity, it's going to be a while to get the rest of your body in shape. But in terms of the ankle, I'm not concerned with that at all."
A plate and screws placed into the ankle during surgery.
"I guess you can take them out, if you really want to take them out, but I've been told there's no need to take them out, so they're going to stay," Jeter said. "Range of motion, I pretty much have it all back now."
The 13-time All-Star thinks he will play in his first exhibition game in a few weeks. Manager Joe Girardi said Jeter will likely DH in his initial spring training games.
"I think he's going to do everything he can to play opening day, that's who he is," Girardi said. "We're just going to have to watch and see how he progresses. But knowing Derek, I feel like he'll be ready."
The Yankees' first full squad workout is Monday. Third baseman Alex Rodriguez is not with the team as he continues a rehab program after hip surgery in New York.
"It's going to be odd that's he not here," Jeter said.
Notes: LHP CC Sabathia (left elbow bone spur surgery) felt fine one day after his first bullpen session. ... Girardi said Travis Hafner will strictly be a DH. "People that need a first baseman's glove call me," Hafner said with a smile. ... 1B Mark Teixeira, who often struggles offensively in April, expects that playing for the United States in the World Baseball Classic will help. "Absolutely," Teixeira said. "I think it will be good." ... Minor league reliever Mark Montgomery was scratched from his batting practice session because of back stiffness. ... Minor league INF David Adams also has back problems.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10625Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9988Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9782Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6778Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4215Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4087Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates