Jeter expects to start on-field work Monday

Published on NewsOK Modified: January 15, 2014 at 8:54 pm •  Published: January 15, 2014
Advertisement
;

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter, limited to 17 games last season due to injuries, says he will probably start on-field work Monday.

Jeter, at his Turn 2 Foundation golf classic Wednesday night, said his offseason has been going well and he's "looking forward to getting out there."

The longtime Yankees captain, who turns 40 next June, began last season on the disabled list after breaking his left ankle in the 2012 playoffs. He was on the DL four times, including stints for right quadriceps and right calf injuries, in the most frustrating season of his 19-year career.

Jeter was limited to five spring training games last year and stayed behind when the team broke camp for rehabilitation at New York's minor league complex in Tampa, Fla. While he was rehabbing, he broke the ankle again.

The Yankees and Jeter agreed to a $12 million, one-year contract in November.