Jets cut LB Thomas; TE Keller, FB Conner out
NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Jets have parted ways with linebacker Bryan Thomas, their longest-tenured player.
Thomas was released Saturday, a day before the team's game at Miami, to make room on the roster for cornerback Donnie Fletcher, who was signed off the practice squad.
The Jets also announced that tight end Dustin Keller and fullback John Conner are out for the game with injuries and would not travel with the team Saturday.
Thomas was the team's first-round draft pick in 2002 and has been a key part of the Jets' defense, mostly as a solid run-stuffing linebacker. He missed most of last season with a torn left Achilles tendon, but was re-signed to a one-year, $900,000 contract in March.
Thomas has been dealing with a hamstring injury the last two weeks, and was listed as doubtful for the Jets' game at Miami on Sunday. He was replaced in the starting defense by Garrett McIntyre, who had two sacks last Sunday at Pittsburgh.
There's a good chance Thomas could be back with the team because he's still dealing with an injury and is a vested veteran with a guaranteed salary and is not subject to waivers. Backup cornerback Ellis Lankster is dealing with a sore back and unlikely to play, forcing the Jets to elevate Fletcher for depth in the secondary.
By cutting the veteran Thomas, the Jets avoided having to subject a younger player to waivers.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister