Share “Jets release WR Santonio Holmes after 4...”

Jets release WR Santonio Holmes after 4 seasons

Published on NewsOK Modified: March 10, 2014 at 11:38 pm •  Published: March 10, 2014
Advertisement

NEW YORK (AP) — Tone Time is over for the New York Jets.

The Jets parted ways with wide receiver Santonio Holmes on Monday, cutting the talented but injury-plagued playmaker after four seasons.

The move, which had been expected, saves the Jets $8.25 million, which Holmes was due to make as his base salary this season. He was also scheduled to have a $10.75 million cap number, a lofty total for a one-time Super Bowl MVP who has struggled with injuries and inconsistency the last two seasons.

"Saying farewell to a great fan base and organization," Holmes wrote on his Instagram page. "Wishing the Jets nothing but the best. This team is headed in the right direction. Good luck."

The Jets also released cornerback Antonio Cromartie on Sunday, clearing $17.75 million of salary cap space before the NFL's free agency period starts Tuesday. New York could also save another $8.3 million if they cut quarterback Mark Sanchez, who missed last season with a shoulder injury.

Holmes, who turned 30 last Monday, had 23 catches — the second-lowest total of his career — for 456 yards and a touchdown in 11 games last season. He missed five games midway through the season with a hamstring injury. Holmes played in just four games in 2012 and was sidelined for several months after suffering a career-threatening foot injury.

In December, Holmes said he would be willing to restructure his contract to remain a member of the Jets, adding that how much of a pay cut he'd be asked to take probably wouldn't play into his decision to want to stay.

"I appreciate Tone's contributions over the last four seasons," coach Rex Ryan said in a statement. "I've always admired his knack for making the clutch play. He's a tremendous competitor who wants the ball in his hands when the game is on the line. I wish him nothing but the best."

Holmes signed a five-year, $45 million deal before the 2011 season after a solid first year with the Jets, who acquired him from Pittsburgh for a fifth-round draft pick. He agreed to restructure his contract in March 2012, when he took a $3.5 million cut to his scheduled base salary of $11 million for last season.

Continue reading this story on the...