Jets' Ryan fills out staff with 2 more hires
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — New York Jets coach Rex Ryan has filled out his coaching staff by hiring Brian VanGorder as linebackers coach and Bobby April III as a defensive quality-control coach.
VanGorder replaces longtime assistant Bob Sutton, who left to become Kansas City's defensive coordinator. VanGorder was Auburn's defensive coordinator last season after spending the previous four seasons in the same role with the Atlanta Falcons.
April, the son of Oakland special teams coordinator Bobby April, spent the past two seasons as a defensive quality control coach for Philadelphia.
Ryan has eight new coaches on his staff, the most since becoming head coach in 2009. Among the new hires this offseason was offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, along with the promotions of Dennis Thurman to defensive coordinator and Ben Kotwica to special teams coordinator.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 64206Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14590Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8849Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 6802How to help tornado victims
- 6783Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6409Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6168Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes