Jets S Eric Smith 'day-to-day' with sprained knee
CORTLAND, N.Y. (AP) — Coach Rex Ryan says safety Eric Smith is "day-to-day" with a sprained knee ligament, and doesn't anticipate the New York Jets signing a veteran at the position to offset Smith's absence.
Smith sprained the medial collateral ligament in his left knee Friday night in the preseason opener at Cincinnati. He also injured his hip, but tests showed no damage. Ryan says Sunday that Smith is "stiff and sore," but feeling better. He is unsure how long Smith will be sidelined but wouldn't rule out him returning during the preseason.
Ryan says wide receiver Santonio Holmes (ribs) is sidelined for practice, as is second-year receiver Jeremy Kerley (hamstring). Ryan says the team hopes Kerley will be able to practice for the first time in camp by the end of the week.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister