Jim Durham's death hits Thunder announcer Matt Pinto hard
The NBA announcers had worked together for three seasons with the Dallas Mavericks
The news that ESPN Radio announcer Jim Durham, 65, had died Sunday at his home in Tomball, Texas, hit Thunder radio announcer Matt Pinto hard.
Videoview all videos
Nov 4Kevin Martin scores 28 points off the bench, but the...
Photoview all 30 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Pinto worked with Durham for three seasons on the Dallas Mavericks broadcasting team in the mid-1990s, and their friendship was why the Thunder used Durham to fill in for Pinto for a couple of games in November 2008 when Pinto's wife had a baby.
“He was one of the gold-standard broadcasters,” Pinto said Monday. “I was pretty blessed and felt very honored to cross his path and work with him.
“He was a really quality person that had no airs about who he was or what he did. He always seem to have time for people in the industry to share whatever insights and knowledge he had about the game. His style was very simplistic, very straight forward. He had intonation in his calls that all of us learned from.”
Pinto replaced Durham as the Mavericks TV voice when he moved to ESPN Radio in 1996. His last assignment for ESPN was Tuesday's season opener between Boston and Miami. The cause of his death was not announced.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 13360Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9892Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9697Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8639Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6622Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5282Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister