Jim Thorpe Award: Mississippi State cornerback Johnthan Banks to be honored Tuesday night
Banks expected to be a first-round selection at the NFL Draft in April. He's the fourth consecutive winner from the SEC.
Mississippi State cornerback Johnthan Banks, the 2012 Jim Thorpe Award winner, will be honored at a Tuesday banquet at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum.
Banks finished his senior season with 63 tackles, four interceptions and seven breakups, and was a first-team All-SEC selection. He's projected in several mock drafts as a first-round selection in April's NFL Draft.
He beat out Alabama's Dee Milliner and Fresno State's Phillip Thomas for the Jim Thorpe Award, and becomes the award's fourth consecutive winner from the SEC.
Monday morning, Banks went to Tener's Boots in Oklahoma City, where he was fitted for his boots and cowboy hat, a custom for each Thorpe Award winner.
Banks was presented the Jim Thorpe Award in early December, at the Home Depot College Football Awards show in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21771Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7615Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6773OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6490OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5293Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4032Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater