John Marshall High School students get view from the top in Oklahoma City
Seniors from John Marshall High School in Oklahoma City ate lunch at the Devon Tower restaurant as part of an etiquette class that teaches them to function in formal situations.
Seniors from John Marshall High School had a chance to practice their manners at one of Oklahoma City's hottest new restaurants Thursday afternoon.
Videoview all videos
Nov 29Seniors from John Marshall High School will eat lunch at...
Photoview all photos
The senior class dined at Vast, the restaurant atop the Devon Tower, as part of a class called Senior Seminar.
The program is designed to prepare students for life, regardless of whether they go to college or the workforce, John Marshall Principal Aspasia Carlson said. Students learn about everything from budgeting to relationships to interviewing.
They also learn to navigate social settings, such as a formal, four-course meal at Vast.
“It is important that our students have these opportunities to learn the appropriate attire, manners and skills for all types of situations they may encounter,” Carlson said.
About 9 in 10 students at the school live at or near the poverty line, according to district statistics. The lunch at the restaurant was paid for by John Marshall teachers and staff, along with community groups and the school's foundation.
“The Colcord Hotel, which manages Vast, was gracious enough to offer us a special rate for this annual event,” Carlson said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 22176Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12149Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10702Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8951Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8805Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8651Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8107Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister