Johnson's goal lifts Real Salt Lake past DC United
SANDY, Utah (AP) — Will Johnson scored in the 49th minute to help Real Salt Lake beat D.C. United 1-0 Saturday night for its first Major League Soccer victory in more than a month.
Salt Lake (14-10-4) has shut out two consecutive league opponents after a scoreless draw against Philadelphia a week earlier.
United (12-10-5) is winless in four of its last five MLS contests.
After a scoreless opening half, Salt Lake took the lead on Johnson's goal in the fourth minute of the second half. Ned Grabavoy backed a pass to Paulo Jr. on the left side of the penalty area, and Paulo Jr. sent a cross into the 6-yard box that was deflected by DC defender Brandon McDonald. Johnson got his head under the deflected ball and knocked it home.
DC tried to come up with the tying score in the 63rd minute when Dwayne De Rosario kicked a right footer from the center of the box. Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando came up with the diving save at the bottom corner of the right post.
Salt Lake was fortunate not to yield several first-half goals. D.C. relentlessly attacked and set up several good scoring chances throughout the half.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort