Jones nears wins record for Oklahoma quarterbacks
Jones has by far thrown the most passes in Oklahoma history and came into the season already holding the records for most yardage and touchdown passes, most yards in a game and numerous others. He's 32-8 as Oklahoma's starter, tying the number of wins Davis had during a remarkable 32-1-1 run that included the 1974 and 1975 national championships.
Jones can break the wins mark in marquee fashion Saturday when his No. 13 Sooners take on No. 15 Texas (4-1, 1-1) in the Red River Rivalry game at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Jones is technically 2-0 as a starter in the rivalry and could become only the fourth Oklahoma quarterback to go 3-0, joining Jimmy Harris, Jamelle Holieway and Davis.
"There's a lot of emotion that goes into that game," Jones said. "It's just a different type of game because there's so much tradition."
In a nutshell, that's also how Jones has approached his entire tenure as the starter and how Davis instructed him to remain even during the tough times.
"I think it's a great position in sports, It's a tough position in sports, too," Heupel said. "There's ups and downs for everybody while you're here. This is what happens when you play at Oklahoma. You're expected to win every ball game, and the quarterback's supposed to be the guy that's the catalyst for that."
From being dumped in defeat, Jones can quickly redeem himself in one of the best ways possible: by beating the Longhorns.
"That's typically the way it goes. One week you're the worst person in the world, the next week everybody loves you," Jones said. "You just have to realize what you are. I think I've been saying don't ride the wave. Always be somewhere in between. You're not as bad as you think you are and then some nights you're not as great as you think you are. It's always somewhere in between those two lines."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10959Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10925Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9866Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9099Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5228Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4380Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3947OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M