Jordan Eberle nets hat trick as Barons beat San Antonio
Jordan Eberle showed the Barons' largest crowd of the season why he represented the Edmonton Oilers in last year's NHL All-Star Game.
Eberle recorded the first hat trick of his professional career and added a fourth goal in the final seconds of a 5-3 Barons win over San Antonio on Saturday night in front of 6,491 fans at the Cox Convention Center.
NewsOK Related Articles
“It was one of those nights the pucks go in,” Eberle said. “Hallsy (Taylor Hall) has been all over me for quite a while for never being able to capitalize on a hat trick.”
Hall, another Oiler playing in Oklahoma City during the NHL lockout, played on the same line with Eberle the past two seasons in Edmonton.
Eberle had 11 two-goal games in the pros — six with the Oilers, four this season with the Barons and one with Springfield — but never a hat trick.
“I finally got the monkey off my back for sure,” said Eberle, smiling. “I can give it to Hallsy now that I have an AHL hat trick. It's all camaraderie. He usually bugs me in the room if I have two and says I'm going to get a hat trick, which usually jinxes it.”
Eberle scored his league leading 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th goals and also had an assist on Justin Schultz's 13th goal of the season in the first period.
“People saw again tonight why he's a really good NHL player,” said Barons coach Todd Nelson. “They were all nice goals. And we needed every one of them because San Antonio played well tonight.”
Eberle's first goal midway through the second period gave the Barons a 2-1 lead. His second goal late in the second period was the back end of a picturesque give-and-go with Mark Arcobello to give OKC a 3-1 lead.
San Antonio scored a power-play goal late in the second period goal to claw to within 3-2. Eberle countered with a power-play goal 52 seconds into the third period to get his hat trick.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments