Judge allows distributor to cut off shipments to Oklahoma City pharmacy
A judge ruled Friday that a drug company can go ahead and cut off shipments to the south Oklahoma City pharmacy that gained national attention after a pharmacist fatally shot a robber there.
In February, Oklahoma County District Judge Lisa Davis required Cardinal Health Inc. to continue shipping pills to Reliable Discount Pharmacy for 45 more days.
The judge agreed to end her requirement at 5 p.m. Friday, about two days early.
Drug sales questioned
She dissolved her order early at the request of the Oklahoma County district attorney's office and the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control.
They told the judge the pharmacy had sold more of the three most-abused prescription drugs over the last two years than a nearby Walmart, Walgreens and a third store did combined.
The pharmacy is at 5900 S Pennsylvania Ave.
Reliable Discount Pharmacy's attorney, Joe White, told the judge Friday the store has been following the law.
“We haven't done anything wrong, all right? We haven't done anything wrong,” White said.
Cardinal Health suspended shipments of controlled substances to Reliable Discount Pharmacy on Feb. 1.
The Ohio-based, $103 billion company determined there was “an unreasonable risk for potential diversion,” records show.
Cardinal Health has been under pressure from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to better monitor sales at pharmacies it supplies.
What will happen next was unclear Friday.
Cardinal Health could suspend shipments again to the Oklahoma City pharmacy.
The company possibly could come to an agreement with Reliable Discount Pharmacy to ship it fewer pills.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad