Judge delays trial for BP rig employees until 2014

Published on NewsOK Modified: December 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm •  Published: December 18, 2012

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Two BP rig supervisors charged with manslaughter in the death of 11 workers on the Deepwater Horizon will go on trial in 2014.

U.S. District Judge Stanwood Duval Jr. has put off the trial of Robert Kaluza and Donald Vidrine until Jan. 13, 2014. They're accused of disregarding high pressure readings that should have been indications of trouble before BP's well blowout.

Prosecutors said they expect to provide more than a million pages of information to the defense. Defense lawyers said they needed more time to prepare for the trial, which had been scheduled Feb. 5.

The judge's action was made public Tuesday.