Judge orders new trial in Katrina bridge killings

Published on NewsOK Modified: September 18, 2013 at 3:27 am •  Published: September 18, 2013
Advertisement
;

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — More than two years ago, federal prosecutors exchanged hugs and held hands with victims' relatives after a jury convicted five former New Orleans police officers of civil rights violations stemming from deadly shootings on a bridge after Hurricane Katrina.

But a judge threw out those convictions Tuesday and ordered a new trial for the officers, concluding the case had been tainted by "grotesque prosecutorial misconduct."

Romell Madison, whose mentally disabled brother, Ronald, was one of two unarmed people gunned down on the Danziger Bridge, said the family is "extremely disappointed" and urged the Justice Department to appeal the ruling.

In his ruling, U.S. District Judge Kurt Engelhardt said at least three government attorneys posted anonymous comments on a New Orleans newspaper's website, creating a "carnival atmosphere" that distorted justice.


Advertisement


Trending Now



AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Authorities: Dozen arrested in Oklahoma ranch meth lab investigation
  2. 2
    Photo Of Obama In Attack Ad Is Photoshopped From Hospital Trip After Aurora Shooting
  3. 3
    WATCH: Trailer for 'Iverson' documentary
  4. 4
    Herschel Walker says he could still play in NFL
  5. 5
    School Bus, Motorcycle Crash In NW OKC - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and...
+ show more