Jury convicts Oklahoma City man of killing friend over missing phone
Dannie Lee, 28, said he acted in self-defense when he accidentally shot Marquis Lewis, 18, of Oklahoma City.
The prosecutor said Lewis, who knew Lee carried a gun, stood his ground because he didn't think “his friend would kill him.”
At least three eyewitnesses testified that Lee pushed Lewis first and was shoved in return. He then stepped back, drew his gun and fired multiple shots at close range, according to witness reports.
“The defendant's story didn't add up with the physical evidence,” Kallsnick said outside the courtroom. “The fact that he was shot so many times defeats the defendant's story that it was just an accident.”
Jurors, who deliberated for nearly four hours, declined to comment. Lee's attorney also declined to comment.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister