Oklahoma State football: Justin Gilbert returning for senior season
STILLWATER — Oklahoma State cornerback Justin Gilbert will return for his senior season, a school official confirmed to The Oklahoman Sunday.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The Tulsa World first reported Sunday that Gilbert had told family members he would not enter the NFL Draft and had instead opted to come back to Stillwater for his final season of eligibility.
Gilbert followed up a promising sophomore season in 2011 with a disappointing junior campaign, tallying 63 tackles, zero interceptions, nine pass breakups and one forced fumble. He also averaged 25.8 yards per kick return, including a 96-yarder for a touchdown against West Virginia to set a school record for most kickoff returns for a touchdown in a career (five).
In 2011, Gilbert recorded five interceptions and was the Fiesta Bowl Defensive MVP in his first season as a starting cornerback. He also returned two kickoffs for touchdowns.
That development and production, combined with elite speed and natural athleticism, prompted immense hype about Gilbert heading into the 2012 season.
Things, simply, did not pan out as expected.
Gilbert was often on the receiving end of outside criticism after a season where he was part of a Cowboy pass defense that allowed 280 yards per game and was often pushed by true freshman Kevin Peterson for playing time.
Cornerbacks coach Jason Jones said Gilbert sometimes put too much pressure on himself. And Gilbert admitted before the Heart of Dallas Bowl he sometimes lacked focus during the season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments