H: ° L: °,
Kansas man dies in Oklahoma crash
Matthew Ray McLaughlin, 21, of Winfield, Kan,, died shortly after 8 a.m. Saturday on State Highway 11 in Kay County, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol reported.
PONCA CITY — A Kansas man died Saturday morning after a two-vehicle crash in Kay County, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol reported.
Shortly after 8 a.m., Matthew Ray McLaughlin, 21, of Winfield, Kan., was driving a pickup westbound on State Highway 11 just west of Union Street.
The pickup crossed the center line, struck an eastbound tractor-trailer, rolled twice and caught fire.
McLaughlin died at the scene, troopers said.
A passenger in the pickup, Justin Wade Smith, 19, also of Winfield, Kan., was thrown from the vehicle. He was taken to a nearby hospital and admitted, troopers said.
The tractor-trailer driver, Linda Sue Cantellany, 58, of Enid, also was taken to a hospital where she was treated and released, troopers said.
It was not known if McLaughlin was wearing a seat belt. Cantellany was wearing one and Smith was not, troopers said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister