Kavcic upsets Baghdatis in Zagreb
ZAGREB, Croatia (AP) — Blaz Kavcic of Slovenia rallied past sixth-seeded Marcos Baghdatis 3-6, 7-6 (2), 6-4 Thursday at the Zagreb Indoors to reach the quarterfinals for the third time in his career.
Baghdatis, the 2007 champion from Cyprus, served for the match at 5-4, but lost serve and Kavcic won the tiebreaker. Baghdatis pulled out of doubles because of a foot injury.
"I did not want to take any risks," he said. "I have to give credit to Kavcic. He played well."
Fourth-seeded Jurgen Melzer of Austria defeated Somdev Devvarman of India 1-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2. Devvarman led 5-3 in the tiebreaker, then lost four points in a row.
Robin Haase from the Netherlands defeated fifth-seeded Slovak Martin Klizan 6-2, 4-6, 6-4.
Also, Lukas Rosol of the Czech Republic ousted Italy's Flavio Cipolla 6-4, 2-6, 6-3, and Philipp Petzchner of Germany beat Croatian wild card Dino Marcan 6-3, 6-4. Marcan entered the tournament as a replacement for second-seeded Andreas Seppi, who withdrew because he was ill.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister