Kayaking: Dylan Puckett is first Oklahoman to come through Boathouse District, compete in Olympic Trial
Jones teen Dylan Puckett will be the first Oklahoman to come through the Boathouse District and compete in an Olympic Trial in kayaking. He knows he's a long shot for this year, but he has his sights set on the 2016 games.
Videoview all videos
Apr 19Sixty of the fastest canoe and kayak racers in the United...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Puckett was 12 when he joined the OKC RIVERSPORT's Youth Sprint Kayak Program in 2007. He did so just to have fun and to stay in shape during the summer.
His father, Paul, had joined the OG&E corporate rowing team because doctors had advised him to get more exercise after a minor stroke.
At age 12, Puckett admits he was “very chubby.” In football, coaches played him on the offensive line.
“I was the big kid but the short kid,” he said. “I turned into an athlete two years later. Shaun got me into shape.”
Puckett got serious about kayaking after Caven was hired. A former British National coach, Caven guided Tim Brabents to the gold medal in kayaking in the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
While Puckett doesn't get to live the life of a normal teenager because of his commitment to compete at a world class level, the trade off has been that kayaking has allowed him to travel the globe.
“I really like the people and the places kayaking takes you,” he said. “I have been to Lake Placid. I have been to Poland and I am probably going to Hungary and Canada this year. I am going to Seattle in two weeks to race in the Paddlers Cup. It's pretty exciting.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister