Keeping the Faith: Fear is sticky subject
Use God's Word to conquer fears, columnist Walker Moore says.
When I returned from the mission field this summer, my wife had a surprise for me.
She had dismantled the dining room. And by dismantled, I mean dismantled. She repainted the walls, ripped up the baseboards and moved out all the furniture.
We decided to rip out the dining room carpet and lay new hardwood floors. The salesman said I would need to buy glue to put the boards together, and a wave of horror flooded my mind. I hate to admit it, but I've had a lifelong war with glue.
I don't know why glue and I don't get along. Even in my preschool Sunday school days, my mom would find it all over me. The cotton balls you're supposed to glue to a drawing of a sheep? I'd end up with them stuck to my forehead, the back of my shirt and the bottoms of my shoes.
So when the gentleman said we needed glue for our new floor, I talked my wife into a compromise. I would put down the flooring if we could buy the kind that snaps together. What I didn't know was that not only glue, but this type of flooring is a formidable enemy. What should have taken half a day took three days instead. You guessed it. I'm now afraid of snap-lock flooring.
We all have fears. Children often fear the dark. Some fear snakes, spiders and bugs. As we grow older, sometimes our fears spread into other areas like tight spaces or heights. You might be surprised how many times the Scriptures say, “Fear not.” This theme threads itself through the Old Testament and weaves its way through the New. We find God saying it to His children in Isaiah 41:10: “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 56551Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 34585Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32288Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 9582Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8789Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5674Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3757OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins