Kendrick Perkins getting 'close' to debut with the OKC Thunder
PHILADELPHIA – It's been 12 days since Thunder general manager Sam Presti said newly acquired center Kendrick Perkins would be out 2-3 weeks with a sprained left knee.
Videoview all videos
Mar 10Moving into playoff position.
Mar 8Oklahoma City fell to Memphis on Monday night 107-101....
Mar 1Sam Presti talks about keeping Kendrick Perkins in a...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
That timetable has now dwindled to 2-9 days and means the 6-foot-10, 280-pound Perkins is two days away from technically being considered day-to-day.
Seven days in the NBA carries a broad spectrum. That certainly is the case for the Thunder, which plays five games in that time span – at home Friday against Detroit; at Cleveland on Sunday; at Washington on Monday; at Miami next Wednesday; at home against Charlotte a week from Friday.
Thunder coach Scott Brooks confirmed after this morning's shoot-around that Perkins will not play in tonight's game against the Philadelphia 76ers inside the Wells Fargo Center.
Brooks never speaks publicly about a player's return from an injury until that player has been cleared by the team's medical staff.
Asked if there was a chance Perkins could be cleared in time to play against the Pistons, Brooks smiled and said, "Let's put it this way, he's getting closer."
Closer, or close?
"Close," Brooks said, before mumbling "er."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister