Share “Kerr-McGee settlement money to go into trust”

Kerr-McGee settlement money to go into trust

Tronox Ltd. could earn hundreds of millions of dollars in tax deductions.
by Brianna Bailey Modified: December 17, 2013 at 11:00 pm •  Published: December 16, 2013
Advertisement

Chemical manufacturer Tronox Ltd. said the bulk of what is anticipated to be a multibillion dollar judgment against Anadarko Petroleum Corp. will go to clean up pollution at environmental sites that Tronox inherited from Kerr-McGee Corp.

Most of the money — 88 percent — will go to trusts and other governmental entities to remediate polluted sites. The remaining 12 percent will be distributed to a tort trust to compensate individuals injured as a result of Kerr-McGee's environmental failures.

Tronox was created as a spinoff of Oklahoma City-based Kerr-McGee in 2005, before Kerr-McGee was acquired by Houston-based Anadarko in a transaction valued at more than $18 billion. A federal judge ruled Thursday that Kerr McGee and Anadarko acted improperly in the merger and that Kerr McGee foisted billions of dollars worth of environmental liabilities onto Tronox before the Anadarko sale.

Anadarko could face a final judgment of $5 billion to $14 billion in the case.

Tronox, formerly based in Oklahoma City, said that the IRS confirmed that the business could receive hundreds of millions of dollars in tax deductions from money the environmental trusts spend to clean up environmental sites and compensate injured individuals.

“Tronox believes that these expenditures and the accompanying tax deductions may continue for decades, and therefore, it expects that this tax benefit may continue for a lengthy period, potentially amounting to hundreds of millions of dollars annually,” the company said in a statement.

Tronox filed for bankruptcy in January 2009, and emerged from bankruptcy in February 2011.

by Brianna Bailey
Business Writer
Brianna Bailey has lived in Idaho, Germany and Southern California, but Oklahoma is her adopted home. She has a bachelor's degree in Journalism from the University of Oklahoma and has worked at several newspapers in Oklahoma and Southern...
+ show more


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    OKC Thunder's Russell Westbrook marries Nina Earl in star-studded Beverly Hills ceremony
  2. 2
    Obama Renames Mt. McKinley 'Denali' Ahead of Alaska Trip
  3. 3
    2015 US Open -- Maria Sharapova announces she will not play
  4. 4
    Neurologist and Writer Oliver Sacks Dies at 82
  5. 5
    What "Games Of Thrones" Characters Look Like In The Books
+ show more

FEATURED JOBS



× Trending energy Article