Kevin Tway, OSU golf team primed for NCAA Regional tournament
Oklahoma State senior golfer Kevin Tway talked to The Oklahoman about this week's NCAA Regional tournament, the NCAAs and about having a little fun on Twitter.
The Oklahoma State golf team will be back in action Thursday at an NCAA Regional tournament at Colorado National Golf Club in Erie, Co. The Cowboys are trying to qualify for their record 65th straight NCAA Championships appearance.
NCAA GOLF REGIONALS
The NCAA Regionals begin Thursday at courses across the country. The top five teams from each three-day regional will advance to the NCAA Championships at Karsten Creek in Stillwater, which begins on May 31. Here's a look at where the state schools are headed for regionals:
* No. 1 Oklahoma State: Colorado National Golf Club, Erie, Co.
* No. 24 Oklahoma: Pete Dye River Course of Virginia Tech, Radford, Va.
* Tulsa: The Farms Golf Club, San Diego
Just about the entire Oklahoma State golf team is active on Twitter. Here's a list of the tweeting Cowboys and their Twitter handles:
* Kevin Tway: @KevinTway
* Peter Uihlein: @PeterUihlein
* Talor Gooch: @TalorGooch
* Trent Whitekiller: @TWhitekiller
* Ian Davis: @IanDavisOSU
* Mark Johnson: @MarkJohnsonOSU
* Brad Gehl: @bradgehlOSU
* Karsten Majors: @karstenOSU
* Drew Page: @D_Paw
* Brandon Weeden: @bweeden3
* Coach Mike McGraw: @CoachMcGrawOSU
* Assistant coach Josh Fosdick: @CowboyFoz
When: May 31 – June 5
Where: Karsten Creek, Stillwater
Tickets: All session tickets are $50. Single-session tickets are $10. Kids 12 and under are free with a ticketed adult. Tickets can be purchased by calling (877) 255-4678 or by logging on to NCAA.com/tickets.
Parking: Parking is $5 at Lake Carl Blackwell across the highway from Karsten Creek and shuttles will take fans to and from the golf course.
The top-ranked Cowboys, coming off their fifth straight Big 12 title, have a little extra incentive to play well this week as they are the host school for the NCAA Championships, which begin at Karsten Creek on May 31.
OSU's Kevin Tway, a senior from Edmond that has won two NCAA Regionals, talked to The Oklahoman about this week's tournament, the NCAAs and about having a little fun with his teammates on Twitter. He even dished a little on new teammate and Cowboys star quarterback Brandon Weeden.
Q: Obviously you guys have had a pretty good run this year. Can you talk about some of the success you've had?
A: We had a pretty good fall. Won twice and finished second another time. In the spring I think we've only lost two or three times and we've finished in the top three every time. Everybody is playing well, so I'm really looking forward to the next couple of tournaments.
How is your game heading into your final two college tournaments?
I think my game is in good shape. I've been practicing with my dad (PGA Tour pro Bob Tway) and some of the other pros down at Oak Tree in Edmond. I feel like everything is coming around and I'm ready.
How excited are you about having the NCAAs in Stillwater at Karsten Creek?
It's great. That course is a beast, but it'll be good to have it here.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10959Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10925Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9866Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9099Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5228Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4380Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3947OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M