Key elements of Egypt's interim constitution
CAIRO (AP) — Egypt's Supreme Council of the Armed Forces has decreed an interim constitutional declaration following the dissolution of parliament by a court ruling. The document, published in the official gazette late Sunday, defines the authorities of the nation's next president and the authorities of the ruling military.
The following are key elements of the declaration:
—The next president takes his oath of office before the Supreme Constitutional Court because parliament is dissolved.
—The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces is the authority that decides on all affairs of the armed forces, appointing its commanders and extending their service. Until a new constitution is adopted, the chairman of the council (Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi) has the authorities of the commander of the armed forces and the defense minister.
—The president can declare war after the approval of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces.
—In the case of domestic unrest that requires the intervention of the armed forces, the president can request the participation of the armed forces to safeguard security and protect the state's vital installations but only after the approval of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces.
—The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces has legislative powers until a new parliament is elected and functioning.
—If the constituent assembly is unable to complete its work for whatever reason, the Supreme Council of the Armed forces will within a week form a new constituent assembly — that represents all segments of society — to draft a new constitution within three months from the date of its inception. The draft constitution will be voted on in a nationwide referendum within 15 days of completion. Steps leading to parliamentary elections should start a month after the ratification of the new constitution in the referendum.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11235Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 11138Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5575Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5081Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4332OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4278Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4021How to help tornado victims