H: ° L: °,
Key quotes from ECB head Draghi's press briefing
"Euro area economic activity should stabilize and recover gradually in the second half of the year."
The official measure of inflation dropped sharply to 1.2 percent in April, well below the ECB's target of 2 percent. Draghi said the drop was mainly due to lower energy costs but said weak economic activity was also contributing.
"Inflation rates could remain subject to some volatility throughout the year."
Many European governments and independent economists have said in recent weeks that public sector budget cuts should be slowed or even halted to allow the economy to recover. Draghi said the ECB continued to support debt reduction. Though he did not specify whether it would be good to slow down the pace of austerity, he said governments should not allow public debt to increase back to unsustainable levels.
"Don't unravel the progresses that you have achieved."
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13976Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9656Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9589Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8454Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6577Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6030Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5383Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister