Kligerman earns 1st victory with Talladega win
A spin by Ron Hornaday brought out a late caution, and Jason White was leading with six laps to go on the restart. White was pushed by Kurt Busch into a breakaway lead, but the tandem of Buescher and Dillon caught up and went sailing by on the outside.
That's when it "all kind of fell apart," Buescher said. "Ty hooked up with me and pushed me up to the front, but I think we got there too early."
Kligerman, with help from Sauter, came charging along and raced into the lead, and Buescher could do nothing as he tried to back up to Dillon so the two could hook bumpers and try to push back into the lead.
Then Buescher said he nearly spun in the trioval, and didn't get another chance as drivers jockeying for position started a multi-truck wreck that brought out the caution.
"A third-place run for us in the thick of the championship battle is a good day at Talladega," Buescher said. "Everybody wants to win here, but third place is a lot better than being caught up in one of the big wrecks."
One of those wrecks collected Nelson Piquet Jr., last week's winner at Las Vegas, who thought his result was more about the nuances of Talladega and his attitude than anything else.
"These superspeedways are just complicated," said the Brazilian. "Maybe it's my fault and I was too pessimistic when I got here. I don't like this place, I don't like the way it happens."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister