Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Friday Night Highlights: For every yard quarterback Austin Box gained on the ground, every extra second he was able to stand in the pocket, Cooke was out front leading the way for Enid. Cooke’s consistency in pass-protection and run-blocking helped the Plainsmen reached the Class 6A championship game. Cooke started 2006 relatively unknown outside of Enid. He ended the season on The Oklahoman’s All-State team.
Audio with Ryan Aber
Deja OU: Cooke is in a similar situation to Sooner guard Trent Williams. In 2005, Williams entered OU’s recruiting class a mid-level prospect with mid-level expectations. After Brandon Braxton went down with an injury, however, Williams came in and earned several offensive “game balls” from the Sooner coaches. Impact ETA: Cooke will likely redshirt his freshman year and assume a backup role afterward. But just like Williams, he’s only a couple of injuries away from a decent shot at playing time. Blake’s Take: It’s crazy to think what might have been. Cooke originally committed to Texas Tech, and probably would have been a better fit in Lubbock. But crimson blood runs thick in Oklahoma. And in the end, Cooke jumped at the opportunity just to take the sideline as a Sooner. Sounding Off: “Not as heralded as Enid teammate Austin Box, Cooke fits the mold of big, strong players OU line coach James Patton is after. The Sooners are set along the offensive front for now, but next fall, Cooke should compete for a backup role in 2008.” — OU beat writer John Helsley
Kody Cooke, OL, Enid
Weight: 290 pounds
NewsOK Related Articles
Audio with Ryan Aber
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 20835Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17666Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12055Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10703Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 9067Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8577Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8462Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments