Koonce's 176 yards lead Fordham by Cornell 34-27
BRONX, N.Y. (AP) — Carlton Koonce ran for two touchdowns to help Fordham overcome Cornell quarterback Jeff Mathews' 489 passing yards in a 34-27 win Saturday.
Koonce picked up 176 yards on 31 rushes, including touchdowns in the third and fourth quarters. His ground work was accentuated by the Fordham (2-1) passing game, led by Ryan Higgins 281 yards and two touchdowns on 19-of-26 passing. Brian Wetzel pulled in eight of those passes for 153 yards and a score.
Cornell trailed 7-6 at the half, but scored four touchdowns in the second half to overcome the deficit.
Mathews was 38-of-56 passing, throwing three touchdown strikes and running for another. Three different Cornell (0-1) receivers pulled in 10-plus passes, led by 13 catches, 181 yards and a touchdown by Grant Gellatly and 10 catches, 177 yards and a score for Luke Tasker.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 94547Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17200OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12970Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8745Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8636Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8239How to help tornado victims
- 7488Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma