Krul, Fer injured to force changes in Dutch lineup
AMSTERDAM (AP) — Injuries to goalkeeper Tim Krul and midfielder Leroy Fer will force Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal to change his lineup for Tuesday's World Cup qualifier against Hungary.
Krul hurt his left elbow in training on Saturday and Fer injured a knee in the Netherlands' 2-0 defeat of Turkey on Friday night.
Jeroen Zoet of RKC Waalwijk replaces Krul, though Van Gaal is likely to play either AS Roma goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg or Michel Vorm of Swansea.
The coach replaced Fer with talented young midfielder Adam Maher of AZ Alkmaar, sticking with his emphasis on youth as the Dutch rebuild after a disastrous European Championship.
The match in Budapest features two Group D teams that won their first outings. Hungary beat Andorra 5-0 to lead the group on goal difference.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13110Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12605OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11229Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 10063Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7965Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5849Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 5300Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers