La Baguette — bringing French technique to the local scene
8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday to Thursday
8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday
9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Sunday
Sounds simple because it is. Take one bite, and you'll ask what other wonders might be found through simplicity.
The croque is a slice of balance: crisp and creamy, savory and a hint of sweet. Made in the kitchen of a chef such as Alain Buthion, the croque is a little work of art. Add fried eggs to this open-face mini masterpiece and you've got croque madame. The bistro also offers an Oklahomafied version with sausage and eggs on top.
La Baguette in Norman also carries the croque on its menu. Their croque sausage includes bacon, sausage, cheddar and Swiss with bechamel over sourdough.
Perhaps we have more in the common with the French than we suppose. We've got Fourth of July; they've got the Fourteenth of July. We had a tea party; they demanded cake (could've been tea cakes). Heck, they're even pretty good at basketball.
But just as French basketball is to the NBA, so is our humble grilled cheese to the croque monsieur.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 25585Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 23461Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims