LA man shot dead outside school near Central Park
The killing occurred on a nondescript, unassuming block of West 58th Street, with construction scaffolding, a piano store and an apartment building at the corner. The site is near the Time Warner Center, two connected skyscrapers that have appeared in numerous movies and television shows.
There was no known connection to the school, Browne said.
None of the 38 boys studying at the school witnessed the shooting because they were at a church rehearsing, school receptionist Allie Roma said.
"We didn't hear the gunshots, but we saw the flashing lights," Roma said.
Roma said to her it appeared the man had been shot in the face.
"The body was on the sidewalk," Roma said by telephone before she was interrupted by someone who told her to hang up, which she did.
Follow Deepti Hajela at http://www.twitter.com/dhajela
Associated Press writer Jim Fitzgerald contributed to this report.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 43037Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15155Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9718Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8776Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8708Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7875Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7675Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena