Labor march disrupts LAX Thanksgiving traffic
Hahn said she did not mind taking extra time to catch her own flight to speak on behalf of airport workers who are usually "invisible" in jobs such as cleaning planes and pushing disabled people in wheelchairs.
Mary Kay Henry, international president of the SEIU, said the union supports efforts to prevent changes to the health care plan for Aviation Safeguards workers even though the employees voted to sever ties with the union.
Jose Lobera, 77, a 10-year Aviation Safeguards employee, accused the company of splitting workers — single employees were not as concerned about an increase in family health care coverage premiums as those with dependents.
Other employees, however, said in a press release that a majority had signed petitions to leave the union and called upon the SEIU to cancel the demonstration.
Aviation Safeguards Regional Vice President Joe Conlon was quoted in the release as saying the company respected employees' right to choose representation.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 4046At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 3397Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 3003How to help tornado victims
- 2509Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 1115Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 620Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 439Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes