OU football: Landry Jones and new receivers will develop chemistry with time
Oklahoma quarterback will have a lot of talented receivers, though most have not caught a pass in a Sooner uniform
NORMAN — Two things Landry Jones probably looked for when he began to date his now wife, Whitney Hand: chemistry, a connection.
Two things Landry Jones had in his main receiver last year, Ryan Broyles: chemistry, a connection.
Videoview all videos
Jul 23Landry Jones may be back for his senior season, but after...
Jul 23Berry Tramel talks with OU head coach Bob Stoops about...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
See a pattern?
When center Ben Habern was asked at Big 12 Media Days what Jones will need in order to replace Broyles, he laughed.
“He's a special talent you don't hardly ever see,” Habern said. “We have a lot of young guys that might not have the chemistry and connection Landry had with some of our older guys.”
But “might not” doesn't mean never. Look at Trey Metoyer. He's one of the youngsters that made a huge impact in the spring and was the most talked about OU freshman at media days. Habern doesn't think the five-star recruit even dropped a pass during spring ball. And look at Jones. He's a four-year starter that knows what it takes to be the leader of coach Bob Stoops' offense.
“We have an unbelievable talent with Trey,” Habern said. “He's got great hands and he's athletic and he can jump.”
Right now, Jones is learning a lot about his new set of receivers: their athletic ability, their personalities, their style.
“I'm confident enough to be able to be around this offense, be able to coach 'em up and really let them know what I expect out of them,” Jones said, “then also being able to get on the same page of how they like to run a route and how I want them to be run, as well.”
He referred to Metoyer as a “kind of a blue-collared kid: hard working, easy to be around, pretty laid back.”
Senior cornerback Demontre Hurst even talked about the impact of Metoyer on the Sooners.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes