LaRoche, Burnett void options, choose free agency
WASHINGTON (AP) — First baseman Adam LaRoche and left-handed reliever Sean Burnett are free agents after voiding mutual options in their contracts with the Washington Nationals.
LaRoche bypassed a $10 million option for 2013, while Burnett would have earned $3.5 million next season under his old deal.
The Nationals still could sign both players, who can have a chance to test the free-agent market.
LaRoche's 33 homers and 100 RBIs helped the Nationals win their first NL East division title this season, and he collected his first Gold Glove this week.
Burnett went 1-2 with a 2.38 ERA and 57 strikeouts in 56 2-3 innings over 70 appearances in 2012.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort