Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The Orange Bowl in Miami (shown here in 1975) hosted the Orange Bowl Classic through 1996. An OU-Miami game in 2009 would be much better at the Orange Bowl than in Dolphin Stadium. MIAMI DEPT. OF PUBLICITY AND TOUrism/> Here is Dolphin Stadium's one distinguishable attribute: in September, you can play part of the game on dirt, since the Dolphins share the stadium with baseball's Marlins. A game against Miami at the grand old Orange Bowl stadium would be much better. Yes, the old lady has seen better days, but the history and the memories and the setting make for a great spectacle, like when the Sooners play in the Rose Bowl or the Cotton Bowl. With those palm trees rising beyond the end zone, the Orange Bowl has been home to many a Sooner game, mostly on New Year's Night in battles against Tennessee and Penn State and Michigan and Florida State and Maryland. Here's hoping that somehow, some way, the Sooners get one last show in the stately stadium.
Last tango in Miami
NewsOK Related Articles
The Orange Bowl in Miami (shown here in 1975) hosted the Orange Bowl Classic through 1996. An OU-Miami game in 2009 would be much better at the Orange Bowl than in Dolphin Stadium. MIAMI DEPT. OF PUBLICITY AND TOUrism
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 30214Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 19534Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7073OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6093Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5026OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4433Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3498Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater