Late tomato harvest means soup's on
Sherrel Jones shares a recipe for late harvest tomatoes.
Got tomatoes? Finally they are ready to harvest faster than we can eat them at our house.
It has been three years here since we've had a good crop, so even though most of my tomatoes are “little boys,” they are most appreciated. We've been admiring them arranged in a big bowl on the counter, but it is time to put them to use.
Sherrel's Roasted Tomato Sauce
Makes 1 quart of Tomato Sauce or 5 cups of creamy tomato soup.
4 cups sliced tomatoes, cut 1/4-inch thick or in half (Roma, grape or other combination)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 stalks celery, sliced into 1/4-inch segments
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 (14.5 ounces) can stewed tomatoes (Italian Style if possible.)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup cream or half and half
• Prepare tomatoes for roasting slicing 1/4-inch thick or cut in half for smaller tomatoes. Place on silicone mat or parchment covered baking sheet.
• Roast at 200-degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until tomatoes begin to caramelize. (This will take only about 30 to 40 minutes in convection oven.)
• Meanwhile in a 2 1/2- to 3-quart sauce pan, saute celery, onion garlic and Italian seasoning in olive oil until celery softens and onion is wilted and begins to caramelize. Deglaze with stewed tomatoes crushing large pieces with fingers as it is added to the sauteed mixture.
• Reduce heat, add oven roasted tomatoes and vinegar. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Sauce will be ready. Finish with chopped fresh basil.
• For soup: Add broth and cream or half and half. Pour mixture into blender container and pulse to blend adding basil leaves until finely chopped. Return to pan and heat until piping hot and serve. Garnish with an additional basil leaf and serve.
This soup is great with grilled cheese sandwich. The sauce can be frozen to use later or turn into soup at a later time.
Roma, Yellow Pear and some Big Boys that are really not so big comprise the bulk of our 2012 crop. We use all of them in salads, but to make the most of their amazing fresh vine-ripened flavor, I am roasting them at least once a week.
These roasted jewels are a blessing to a variety of dishes: Roasted Cream of Tomato Soup, the Best Tomato Sauce, grilled cheese or chicken sandwiches, pizza sauce and pasta salads. You can orchestrate a mighty bruschetta topping with roasted tomatoes, a splash of balsamic vinegar, a drizzle of olive oil and, of course, a touch of garlic.
You might not have thought about roasting the yellow tomatoes, but they are quite good this way and have the bonus of being less acidic. How about a roasted yellow tomato and yellow pepper soup? This combination is amazing especially if you add a few garlic chives and a little cream at the end.
Roast a combination of zucchini, tomatoes and onions. Slice each into bite-size pieces, toss in a bit of olive oil, season and spread on a prepared baking sheet. (Cover the sheet with parchment, nonstick foil or a silicone baking mat for cleanup ease.) Place this combination on an upper rack in an oven heated to 400 degrees. Roast about 20 minutes until onions begin to caramelize.
Larger slices of tomato roast best spread apart on the baking sheet.
Have at least a half-inch of space between them for better circulation. If roasting Roma tomatoes, it is easy to cut them in half and squeeze out the sparse mushy seeded area to roast more efficiently. I do the same when roasting larger slices — just squeeze a bit or spoon out some of the seeded area, making sure to leave the meaty flavorful flesh.
Roma tomatoes are considered one of the best varieties for making sauce, but others work well when their flavors are concentrated during the roasting process.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 4046At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 3397Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 3003How to help tornado victims
- 2509Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 1115Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 620Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 439Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes