SAN DIEGO MAYOR
Faulconer launches bid for San Diego mayor
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A Republican city councilman says he is running for San Diego mayor in a special election to replace Bob Filner, who resigned amid allegations that he sexually harassed women.
Kevin Faulconer launched his bid Wednesday, four days after GOP heavyweights met privately to coalesce behind a single candidate.
The 46-year-old councilman promised to restore trust in a scandal-plagued City Hall. Faulconer backed a ballot initiative to cut pensions for city workers and wants to put more city services up for bid but he has struck a more centrist tone than the Republican candidate in last year's election, Carl DeMaio.
DeMaio said Tuesday that he will sit out the Nov. 19 special election and instead run for Congress.
LA FRACKING BAN
2 Los Angeles councilmen urge ban on fracking
(Information in the following story is from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com)
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two Los Angeles City Council members are urging are urging a ban of the hydraulic fracturing of underground rock formations to reach oil reserves because of environmental risks.
The Los Angeles Times reports that Paul Koretz and Mike Bonin introduced a proposal Wednesday that would outlaw so-called fracking by changing the city's zoning laws. In recent years oil companies have used fracking in the Inglewood Oil Field to extract hard-to-reach oil from idled wells.
Hydraulic fracturing involves injecting water mixed with chemicals into wells to break apart shale formations that cover pockets of oil or natural gas. Opponents say it is hazardous to the water supply and cannot be safely regulated.
The measure was referred to the council's Planning and Land Use Management Committee for review and public hearings.
Brush fire contained in Riverside County
HEMET, Calif. (AP) — Southern California firefighters have contained a brush fire south of Hemet in Riverside County.
The fire was reported at 12:55 p.m. Wednesday and burned nine acres in grass and medium brush.
Sixty-eight firefighters were assigned along with two air tankers and a helicopter.
Weather in the region is hot and unstable, with thunderstorms and flash flood warnings in many areas.
Long Beach police defend baton hits on prone man
LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) — Long Beach police say a man who was repeatedly struck with batons and shocked with a stun gun while lying on his back was combative and had attacked a man before his arrest.
A cellphone video shows officers hitting 46-year-old Porfirio Santos Lopez in the legs six times Monday.
Police, meanwhile, released surveillance video showing a man punching another man during a street argument before the arrest.