Lawsuit involving former University of Central Oklahoma debate coach settled out of court
A group of 12 former University of Central Oklahoma employees and students brought the suit against former UCO debate coach Eric Marlow, alleging he sexually harassed a female student, used drugs in the classroom and intimidated debate team members and coaches.
EDMOND — A sexual harassment lawsuit involving a former University of Central Oklahoma debate coach was settled out of court this week.
A group of 12 former UCO employees and students brought the suit against former UCO debate coach Eric Marlow, alleging he sexually harassed a female student, used drugs in the classroom and intimidated debate team members and coaches.
The suit also names the university, College of Liberal Arts Dean Pamela Washington and the Board of Regents of Oklahoma Colleges, now called the Regional University System of Oklahoma.
The suit, filed in federal court in Oklahoma City, alleges Marlow, 45, pressured a female student to have sex with him and gave her drugs and alcohol beginning in 2009. The lawsuit was settled Monday, according to court records.
Terms of the settlement weren't released. UCO spokeswoman Adrienne Nobles wouldn't give details of the agreement, citing a nondisclosure statement attached to the settlement.
Marlow no longer works at UCO. He was employed at the university through Dec. 31, 2010, Nobles said. She wouldn't give further details about his employment at the university, including records of disciplinary actions.
Oklahoma open records law requires that public bodies disclose all records of disciplinary actions resulting in loss of pay, suspension, demotion or termination. The Oklahoman filed an open records request for those documents Friday. The request is pending.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 17094Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9372Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9356Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6811Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6759Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6251Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit