Lawyer in French terror case won't use videos
ALGIERS, Algeria (AP) — The lawyer for the father of a slain French terrorism suspect said Thursday she won't use videos allegedly in her possession to prove the wrongful death of her client's son.
Zahia Mokhtari represents the Algerian father of Mohammed Merah, who was accused of killing seven people in southern France earlier this year.
Mokhtari has sued the French state, asserting that police shot Merah after a 32-hour standoff to keep him silent about his work for the intelligence services, but she has never publicly produced the videos.
Her decision comes in the wake of a French TV station broadcasting excerpts of audio recordings of Merah's final negotiations with police before they killed him.
Mokhtari said the broadcast was an attempt to damage her case. French authorities have said they will investigate the leaks.
"Since the French ministries of justice and the interior denounced this video (sic) of TF1, we support them," she told The Associated Press. "For our part, we have decided to not use our video because we have other arguments that will prove the truth in this affair."
She added that she was ready to send the videos to French justice as long as they promised they would not be used by the media.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister