Laying blame for resentment on race
I'm concerned about the attitudes shown by many of our citizens toward “gifts” such a free health care, free contraception for women, “amnesty” for illegal immigrants, forgiveness of college loans and extended health care for older children from their parents' health coverage. The economic situation, bad for almost everyone, has been used to blame different segments of our society, especially the poor. People displeased with Barack Obama resent the poor, especially those of color. It served their interest to blame Obama and his supporters for the economic woes rather than blame companies taking jobs overseas or the large corporations that pay executives big bonuses, pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies and others making exorbitant profits. Most of this anger and resentment is a manifestation of a deeper racial bias and hatred.
NewsOK Related Articles
Edward V. Harris, Hugo
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 27538Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15649Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10393Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9809Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9381Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8402Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8325Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena