Leadership Oklahoma presents awards at annual gala
Two individuals and two businesses were honored by Leadership Oklahoma at the group's annual gala.
Leadership Oklahoma presented four awards on Feb. 23 to individuals and businesses “that make a meaningful difference” in our state, a news release states.
More than 270 people from across the state attended the group's annual Excellence in Leadership Gala at Southern Hills Country Club.
Charles Hollar of Ponca City was honored posthumously with the Leadership Oklahoma Lifetime Achievement Award for establishing the state's Great Expectations program, which helps teachers reach their maximum potential.
Hollar became involved in education reform in 1991 after a successful career as a financial planner.
“Building upon the instructional practices of a master teacher,” the release notes, “Hollar convened a group of exemplary educators to develop a methodology of teaching to promote a classroom climate of mutual respect and civility.”
Now in its 20th year, Hollar's program has been used in 83 schools in Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas. More than 40,000 educators have received training.
His daughter, Sidney Hollar, accepted the award from Linda Dzialo, chief executive officer of Great Expectations.
Mike Neal, of Tulsa, received the Distinguished Graduate Award. Neal is the president and chief executive officer of the Tulsa Metro Chamber.
In that role, he was honored as the 2010 Executive of the Year by the state Chamber of Commerce Executives Association and was TulsaPeople's 2011 Tulsan of the Year.
“Under Neal's leadership,” the release states, “the Chamber has developed One Voice, an effort to create a state and federal lobbying agenda not just for Tulsa but for the entire region, as well as Tulsa's Future II, a holistic approach to developing the regional economy.
“Through Neal's efforts, the region is vibrant and is motivating young people to stay, start businesses, create jobs and strive to contribute to the area's innovations in culture, dedication and commerce.”
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister