Legal gun owners and NRA not responsible for lawbreakers' acts
The solution offered by Raoul Carubelli (Your Views, June 1) to reduce gun violence has nothing to do with Second Amendment rights or legal gun owners or the National Rifle Association. The acts of violence he referred to were committed by lawbreakers who have no concern for the law and the safety of others. The very reason for the Second Amendment is to protect ourselves from such outlaws.
NewsOK Related Articles
To say legal gun owners and the NRA have some responsibility in resolving the carnage he speaks of is like saying car manufacturers have some responsibility when a drunken driver kills someone. Each day 1,200 people die from use of tobacco-related products. If Carubelli wants to crusade, I suggest this would be a better finger-pointing mission for him. By the way, there's no such thing as “gun violence” — it's lawbreakers who are committing these acts of violence.
Cliff Hawkins, Moore
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 11499Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8698Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 7434How to help tornado victims
- 4914Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 2111Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 1490Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say