Leisure Time Pools & Spas celebrates 40 years in operation
Bobby Hayes was 9 when his parents, Bob and Barbara Hayes, opened Leisure Time Pools & Spas.
The Federal Aviation Administration transferred his father, a former controller and instructor, here from Long Island in 1971. His mom, looking for a way to entertain five kids, went in search of aboveground pools, the rage in the old New York neighborhood, and found no one sold them.
She consequently opened Leisure Time at 4831 NW 39 in Bethany. The store, which has expanded and now has a second location at 8501 S Interstate 35 Service Road, celebrated its 40th year of operation on March 1.
Hayes, his wife Shannon and son Ryan work at the south store, while his younger brother Tim Hayes, wife Ann, and two nephews man the original store.
The business employs five others full time, and up to eight additional seasonal workers.
Hayes, 49, sat down with The Oklahoman last week to talk about his professional and personal life. This is an edited transcript:
A: Age 14. I used to drive my motorcycle (in those days, you only had to be 14 to get a motorcycle license) after school to the Bethany store and stock shelves and do water tests. I liked working, mainly because I equated work with money. When I turned 16, I bought a brand-new 1979 Camaro Z28.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 92690Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17105OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12852Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8967Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8623Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8590How to help tornado victims
- 8406Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located